DJI Mavic vs GoPro Karma : battle of new compact fold ups
The battle of the new fold-up drones has begun. Both DJI and GoPro have designed nice fold-up portable camera drones … the Karma from GoPro and the Mavic Pro from DJI. Reviewing the specs and features, it looks like the Mavic Pro beats the Karma in several areas, including flight time (Mavic 27 minutes vs. Karma 20), top speed (Mavic 40 mph vs. Karma 35), maximum range (Mavic 4.3 miles vs. Karma 1.86), and compactness (Mavic folded dimensions of H3.27in x W3.27in x L7.8in and Karma H3.5in x W8.8in x L12in). In addition, the Mavic Pro has “follow-me” and object avoidance functionality — two notable omissions from Karma’s capability.
One big thing Karma has going for it is the flexibility to remove the GoPro camera and use it for those other places that you don’t want or can’t bring a drone. In addition, the Karma includes a great stabilizer that can be removed and used with the GoPro camera along with the “Karma Grip” (included with the drone package), which features its own chargeable battery and can be handheld, gear-mounted, or body-worn. This combination allows a fantastic double duty capability for photography and videography fans.
As for pricing, at the Oct 2016 launch, the Mavic Pro package which includes the controller is priced at $999. And an additional $79 for the shoulder carry bag. The Karma goes for $799 without a camera, but includes a nice molded storage backpack and the Karma Grip. For those already with a HERO4 or HERO5 this makes for a very nice value price point.
DJI Mavic Pro
Here are the key features and specifications for the Mavic Pro. Watch the top featured video to learn more about this cool drone.
- Folded Dimensions = H83mm (3.27in) x W83mm (3.27in) x L198mm (7.8in)
- Weight (including battery and props) = 1.64lbs (743g)
- Max Speed = 40 mph (64 kph) in Sport more without wind
- Max Fight Time = 27 min (0 wind at a consistent 15.5mph (25kph))
Overall Flight Time = 21 minutes (in normal flight and 15% remaining battery level)
- Max Wind Resistance = 19–24mph (29–38kph)
- Camera = 12 megapixels
- Video = 4K 30 fps
- Video Transmission:
Includes new OcuSync technology which provides a range of up to 4.3 miles (7 km) with improved resistance to interference and a higher transmission throughput. At shorter ranges it can stream footage to you at 1080p resolution and also allows photo and video downloads at 40Mb/s.
OcuSync’s transmission latency is 160ms from the Mavic’s camera to your device screen under ideal conditions.
- FlightAutonomy technology can sense obstacles up to 49ft (15m) away
The fold-up compact and portable design of the Mavic Pro
Compared to the Phantom 4, the Mavic is smaller, lighter, and easier to carry thanks to its foldable design. Its new OcuSync transmission system has a longer transmission range and 1080p resolution. Due to its larger size, the Phantom 4 has a higher maximum speed and can withstand stronger winds.
Purchase the Mavic Pro from the DJI online store.
Data = DJI
Images = DJI
Here are the key features and specifications for the GoPro Karma
- Folded Dimensions = H89.9mm (3.5in) x W224.3mm (8.8in) x L303mm (12in)
- Weight 2.2 lbs (1,006g)
- Max Speed = 35 mph (56 kph)
- Max Fight Time = 20 minutes
- Max Wind Resistance = 22 mph (35 kph)
- Camera/Video = the stabilizer supports the HERO5 Black, HERO5 Session, and HERO4 Black/Silver
- Includes the Karma grip to detach camera from drone and use camera in hand held applications.
Data = GoPro
Image = GoPro