DJI Inspire 1 – an amazing drone
The DJI Inspire 1 drone looks cool flying and offers a ton of new features, including a 360 degree camera that records in 4K. Watch the above video as The Verge takes a closer look at this sleek quadcopter in November 2014.
A few words from The Verge’s review … The drone game has changed. That may sound like hyperbole, but that was my first impression when experiencing the DJI Inspire One. This is a unit that anyone could pick up and learn to fly quickly, just as you could with the DJI Phantom. But it offers a ton of powerful new features that were previously only available in units too big, dangerous, and expensive for the average consumer to own.
Watching the Inspire One take off and land is exciting, because it transforms mid-flight, with the legs folding up after takeoff so you can shoot 360 degrees of unobstructed video. The unit also has a ground-facing camera that can track what’s below and keep the unit stabilized, even when there is no GPS signal, making it much easier to fly indoors.
A closer look at some of the Inspire 1 aircraft’s key features and specs :
- Arms – carbon fiber arms give you the strength to maneuver in the air and they transform, moving out of the camera’s way at the flick of a switch.
- Rotor Design – new 13 inch quick release rotors are built with the unique DJI “Z-Blade” design. They have been reinforced with new carbon fiber compound material to ensure excellent performance with increased stability.
- Motor Curved Magnets – integrating curved magnets that fit flush around the edge of each motor that eliminate airflow gaps within the motor, greatly increasing efficiency.
- Revolutionary Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC) – sinusoidal drive replaces the square wave drive of traditional ESCs redefining the whole drive system. The patented algorithm in the ESCs have been tuned and customized specifically for the Inspire 1 offering features such as closed loop torque control and distinct functional redundancy with the highest efficiency and the most reliability.
- Intelligent Power Management System – advanced algorithms calculate the distance of your aircraft and estimated time to return home, letting you know when it’s time to fly back.
- Positioning – the position of the Inspire 1 is constantly updated and recorded using a high-strength, intelligent GLONASS + GPS system. This dual positioning system enables higher precision and quicker satellite acquisition, allowing you to see where the aircraft is on a live map and giving it a point to hover at when you release the controls.
- Hover in place without GPS – take off and land at the press of a button and keep your Inspire 1 steady indoors or when GPS satellites can’t be acquired with the new DJI Vision Positioning System.
- Camera – video at up to 4K p30 or 1080 p60 and up to 12 megapixel stills.
- Advanced Gimbal – Zenmuse X3 gimbal, keeping the camera steady in the sky and ensuring you get stable, professional footage every time. Brushless motors that run the gimbal are built for higher precision and a longer life, all while handling the stress of flight. They operate at a high control speed of 120°/s for tilt and 180°/s for rotation. You can also control where the camera is pointing with over 360° of rotation and -90° to +30° of tilt, all within ±0.03° of accuracy.
- Max Speed – 22m/s (approx 49mph)(ATTI mode, no wind)
- Max Wind Speed Resistance – 10m/s (approx 22mph)
- Max Flight Time – Approx 18 minutes
- Vision Positioning – Altitude Range 5-500 cm